Spirulina known as ‘The Green Super Food‘ is a blue-green algae fantastic for its health benefits. It is one of the most nutritionally dense food on the planet as declared by NASA. Spirulina is available in tablet, capsule or in powdered form. Have you ever wonder why tortoise lives for 350 years?
It is interesting to learn that Spirulina has 6 times more protein than eggs, 14 times more calcium than milk, 4 times more potassium than banana, 8 times more iron than spinach, more carotene than in carrot. It also contain several essential amino acids, B vitamins, iron,omega-3 Fatty acids; seems like it is a powerhouse of nutrients. Though being a superfood it is equally healthy for your skin as well as it is loaded with anti-oxidants too.
Incredible Health Benefits of Spirulina
Boosts immunity- It eliminates all your fatigue physically as well as mentally and uplifts your energy levels.Also helps in increasing the haemoglobin level in your cells.
Lowers cholestrol- Heart disease is one of the leading cause of death. Spirulina positively impacts many of the risk factors which promotes the risk of heart disease. It helps in lowering bad cholestrol while stimulating good cholestrol. Consuming 3 gm of spirulina per day has favorable effect in supporting heart health.
Anti-tumor properties- It has significant effects in reducing the tumor size and preventing mouth cancer.
Controls Blood pressure– High blood pressure is the main driver of many serious health problems including heart attacks, kidney disorders. Spirulina helps in enhancing the production of Nitric oxide which is a signaling molecule in relaxing and dilating your blood vessels.
Fights against infection- It helps in restoring white blood cells. It promotes the healthy bacteria in the gut.
Ways to consume spirulina during Covid-19
Here are some tasty and exciting recipes of spirulina that you can add in your diet.
Spirulina- groundnut chikki-
Ideal nutrient rich snack by CFTRI Mysore. To prepare this you need-
- Take one cup each of roasted peanuts and chopped almonds and 3 tbsp of spirulina powder. Mix these dry ingredients.
- Take 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan and add 1 cup of jaggery and allow it to melt at low flame.
- Allow the melted jaggery to boil for 5 min till the syrup becomes thick and glossy. To check its consistency add a drop of syrup in the bowl of water,it should form a hard ball.
- Now add the dry spirulina nut mix to it and stir at low flame till it thickens.
- Off the flame and pour the mix in the grease plate with ghee.
- Press down to even thickness and cut into cubes when it is hot.
- This can be stored for several days and consumed as a healthy snack.
Spirulina lemon shots-
This drink is loaded with antioxidants.
- Squeeze one whole lemon.
- Add 2 pinches of cayenne pepper and 1 pinch of cumin.
- Fill it with one cup of water and add 1 tbsp. of spirulina powder. Stir it well.
- Add ice cubes and serve this Refreshing and energy boosting drink.
Dosage of spirulina in night time can cause insomnia. And should be avoided by pregnant or lactating women or should be taken under prescribed condition by physician.