Flax seed (Linum usitatissimum) is treated as an incredible super food for people coming from vegetarian background. It is loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, both soluble and insoluble fibre, good source of quality protein, carbohydrates and lignan content. Popularly known as linseed or alsi (in hindi). The golden or brown coloured flax seeds also consumed in the form of supplements worldwide.
WAYS TO LOVE FLAX SEEDS-
Significant for women- it improves menstrual cycle and helps in restoring the horrmonal balance. The women suffering from PCOS should add flax seeds in her diet to reduce the cholesterol and high blood sugar level. Consuming it after post-pregnancy helps in increasing the production of breast-milk.
Improves gut health- it promotes good bacteria in the gut which prevents from constipation due to its laxative property. Also aids in weight loss.
Lowers the risk of cancer– phytoestrogens are plant based nutrients just as the estrogen hormone in females, these helps in blocking the estrogen cell receptors that are involved in the spread of tumor cells. Lignin present in flax seeds also plays a vital role in preventing the breast-cancer.
Supports heart health– the presence of amino acids such as glutamine and arginie improves heat health and reduces other cardiovascular diseases and boosts immunity. Also these are richest source of ALA( alpha linolenic acid) which helps in reducing bad cholesterol.
Boosts memory- the presence of plant based omega-3 acid in flax seeds is beneficial for neurological health and relieves from anxiety attacks , mood swings and inflammation.
Health skin and stronger hair- flax seeds are good source of tocopherol (Vitamin E) which helps in rejuvenating the skin and making it wrinkle and acne free. It is also loaded with essential vitamins required for nourishment for hair and making it stronger and stimulates the dandruff free scalp. The seeds gets gelatinized on soaking which can be applied on hair for shinier look.
HOW TO CONSUME-
Flax seed coconut ladoo-
- Take 1 cup flax seeds roast it in the pan till the fragment starts popping .Keep it aside and allow it to cool.
- Dry roast ½ cup dried coconut till it becomes golden-brown. Keep aside and allow it to cool.
- Then add 2 tbsp ghee in a pan and ½ cup wheat flour. Roast it till it becomes golden-brown.
- Roast some almonds and then grind it coarsely.
- Roast 1/4th cup gum resin in 2 tbsp of ghee till they become a little puffy.
- Make a fine powder of 8-10 cardamoms and 10-15 white peppercorns.
- Now add 1 cup jaggery with ¼ cup of water. Cook till jaggery melts .
- Mix all the dry ingredients with 1 tbsp fennel powder and ½ tbsp ginger powder with the jaggery syrup.
- Now start making the nutritious ladoo with hands sprinkle with more coconut powder on the top.
These ladoos are beneficial for women during menopause, menstrual cycle, post pregnancy and the ones suffering from PCOS (poly cystic ovary syndrome) . Also highly recommended for diabetic patients.