What is Lemon Grass?
Lemon grass (Cymbopogon citrates) merely taller than grass (3-8 feet) has lemony aroma due to presence of citral comprises of certain essential oils geranyl acetate, neral, nerol, borneol, terpinolene etc , some flavonoids and phenolic compounds. 100 gm lemon grass consists of 70% water, and a very less amount of fat and carbohydrates.
It is generally used in tea just as ginger is added and has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Growing lemon grass on hilly areas can earn more profits, due to the aroma and quality achieved. Cultivating once a year and availing the profits for next 5 years.
- Pharmacological industries
- Food & beverage industries
Health benefits of Lemon Grass Tea-
Let’s look into the astounding benefits of lemon grass
- Deep cleansing- It helps in removing the dirt and oil from the skin surface.lemon grass is widely used in cosmetic products which has no negative impact on your skin. The anti-oxidants present helps in rejuvenating the skin making the dull skin healthier and glowy.
- Aids in digestion– the antioxidants present in lemon grass helps in treating the stomach ulcers and relieving from other gastric issues including menstrual cramps and constipation.
- Improves kidney function- it increases the frequency of urination, due to its diuretic properties.
- Detoxify the body- Rich in antioxidants lemongrass detoxifies all the biochemical waste from your body. Therefore it is often recommended to have lemongrass tea in the morning which will soothe your body whole day.
- Anti-depressant- person suffering from depression are recommended to intake lemongrass tea 3 times a day which helps in balancing their mood swings, anxiety attacks ;it also works wonder for Alzheimer patients. The odor itself enhances your mood.
- Treats sore throat- works best for healing cough and cold when the tea is served with a tbsp of honey.
- Lowers inflammation- helps in relieving the joint pain and swellings and is the key weapon in fighting injury. The presence of essential oils in lemon grass relieves pain.
Quick recipe for Lemongrass – Ginger tea-
- cut the stalks of lemon grass and allow them to boil in 2 cups of water.
- add 1/2 inch of ginger, 2 cardamoms
- let it boil till the good odor comes and the color of water changed to slight brown.
- in a cup add 1 tbsp of honey or jaggery.
- now strain the tea in the cup and is ready to serve.
Lemon grass is a versatile herb but consumption in high amounts can cause liver damage due to the presence of essential oils, the excess amount can also have impact on kidneys.